Friday, May 30, 2014

Summer Weather!

We just returned from an over 1 week long vacation, expecting a difference in our gardens, but wow what a difference a week can make! In that time, the really warm weather arrived, hitting the 80s. Some things, like our crabapple and some tulips, bloomed and faded in the time we were gone. And, as Mike said, weeds grew like we've been gone for a month!

Here is from 1-2 weeks ago, when I was too busy to post:

tulips

still have a ways to go on projects to improve the curb appeal

violas

little girl who doesn't want her picture taken on Mother's Day

tulip

more blooms, some of which are blooming now only because they were planted this year






And here is what I came home to:





The catmint, peonies, penstemon, and irises really took off. I tried planting tulips strategically around other plants to conceal the tulip foliage as it fades, like this:

with tulips in bloom

penstemon, peonies, and catmint covering foliage
I'm excited to fill in the open spaces with more flowers, some of which I'll probably leave bare until the fall perennials come out. And now there is a little weeding and remulching to do. It is just so wonderful having flowers just pop up on nature's cue in a garden that's becoming established!

1 comment:

  1. Those violoa's are beautiful! I'm hoping all those pretty things are still blooming when we come to visit.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a flower enthusiast married to a man with organic farming dreams. We're enjoying developing our own outdoor paradise in our first home, with 3 little gardening girls by our side. When not spending my free time gardening, I'm recording our memories in my pocket page scrapbooks.