Saturday, May 30, 2015

Perennials Multiply

Spring flowers (and all the best flowers are Spring flowers) are in full bloom, and I love looking out my window and seeing all the fragrant colors. Recently, however, I couldn't stop looking at the bare spots and crowded areas, spots that had been occupied by plants that didn't make it through the winter, and areas where happy plants were spreading into their neighbors' land. There were attractive regions of the small garden, and some not as attractive. 

I like this spot

geranium died off, catmint was divided last year = empty

can't even remember all that was here before
that little hole used to be a daisy

I had been thinking I didn't want to spend any cash on this garden this year, but as I took photos to document bloom times and such, I kept being bothered by what I saw. 

So, starting to dig, divide, and replant, I ended up giving the garden a makeover. 

Helping Mama


The end result feels more balanced, it didn't take long, and I was able to use only plants that I have. Nothing to buy! This is where perennial gardening becomes fun; small plants put in the ground 1 or 2 years ago have grown to a point that they either need to be divided or need more space. Rearranging or dividing to spread them out is fun, well, for those that like that kind of thing.







It may not look like much, but I guess I see some of the tiny plants with their full grown size in mind, and it's a much nicer balance. The constant change is one of the joys of gardening. As soon as you get one area looking all nice, something grows or dies, or your taste changes, or you get a new idea, and it's time to move things around. It may be frustrating to those who don't enjoy a little yard work, but for those of us who do, the persistent drift toward entropy and the need to organize it is what keeps us engaged. 

I can't help but think that retirement will be a blast! 

But the growing season really is far too short here. 

Time to start planning retirement in the South!

In the meantime, I will be enjoying this growing season, and improving my outdoor space one garden bed at a time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a flower enthusiast married to a man with organic farming dreams. We're enjoying developing our own outdoor paradise in our first home, with 3 little gardening girls by our side. When not spending my free time gardening, I'm recording our memories in my pocket page scrapbooks.