Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bulbs

Did I tell you about the great bulb miracle of 2009?

One day last fall, dozens of beautiful bulbs, somewhere near $200 worth, showed up on my doorstep. Turns out the previous owner had ordered them and the company had accidentally shipped this particular box to her old address. And what did they say when Mike called them? Keep them. Check out our Web site to see how to plant them. We'll send the lady a new box.

Are you kidding me?!

So in my worries about how much to spend on bulbs, since I've never planted any and have no idea if I'll just screw them up, I ended up with more bulbs than I could even plant! But even more miraculous still is that those we never got around to planting (blame the 80 hour work weeks, people!), have now started to sprout in their little netted bulb bags.

Perhaps there's a lesson in this for me? To be more adventurous with my gardening; the worst that could happen is a few dead plants! And some lost money. But it's not like I get my gardening money back anyway. It just turns into pretty plants. And Grandma always said growing plants is like gambling, although a little more so in her case, since she was a farmer.

And now, I excitedly await the crocuses and irises, other bulbs I don't know the names of, the the five glorious, big red tulips that just may sprout this Spring. If the stupid chipmunks didn't eat them all. Until then, we'll see if I can force the neglected, already-sprouting bulbs indoors!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see the pics of all your new FREE bulbs! What a nice present!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a flower enthusiast married to a man with organic farming dreams. We're enjoying developing our own outdoor paradise in our first home, with 3 little gardening girls by our side. When not spending my free time gardening, I'm recording our memories in my pocket page scrapbooks.