Saturday, April 19, 2014

Warm Weather for Easter!

It's a T-shirt, open-window day! Today I planted oriental lily and freesia bulbs, transplanted some basil to pots, and Mike is working on moving his berries to the back of his garden.

This week, before it got warm again, we went to a local nursery and I was elated to see all the annuals they were selling, an absolutely beautiful sight after an extended winter.

My initial goal was to grow all my own potted annuals from seed this year, but the reality is that all our grow light space is occupied by edibles, and after seeing the pretty stuff they have for sale, I can't wait to take some home!

I took a pictures of a few that caught my eye:

angelonia with huge flowers

petunias

coleus

petunias

diascia

cuphea

nemesia

zinnias

marigolds



 When Mike went to the home improvement store today, I asked him to get some pansies if they were out. Looking out onto our brown deck with brown furniture and a mostly brown lawn in the background looks way different with a pot of these on it!



And in my front garden, finally, the crocuses are starting to bloom! Just in time for Easter.



This is the time of year when it's finally warm enough to use the outdoor table, but it's consumed by hardening off seedlings:



purple ruffles basil

And here is Mike's tilled and enlarged garden this year. He has plans to build a fence. The clothesline poles are going to be a fixture in the garden for now, because the cement holding them in went much too deep for him to pull them out without a big tractor.



I hope you're enjoying the happy return of Spring!

2 comments:

  1. It was beautiful in NE Ohio as well on Easter.No T-shirts, but we did spend time out on the patio after a full lunch meal with family. That garden GREW! And I love the flowers that caught your eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your plants are looking wonderful. I have little sunlight and room to grow so many but I do start a few flowers with grow lighting. I love angelonia in containers and those are such a beautiful color. The diascia is pretty too. I have no luck with it but love it in containers with other plants. Beautiful weather and we are so ready for it.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a flower enthusiast married to a man with organic farming dreams. We're enjoying developing our own outdoor paradise in our first home, with 3 little gardening girls by our side. When not spending my free time gardening, I'm recording our memories in my pocket page scrapbooks.