Sunday, April 17, 2016

Blooms!

What a treat to wake up Saturday morning to put on shorts and a t-shirt! 4 days ago it was freezing with nighttime lows in the 30s, and I impulse purchased some frost-tolerant annuals from Menards, which were huddled in the interior of the cold garden center along with all the trees and shrubs.  I’m glad I bought what I did, because on a return trip last night, the dianthus I purchased were sold out, but plants had been moved outdoors to enjoy the beautiful sun!

Here is a glimpse of our weekend:



Currently, the magnolias and daffodils are blooming. Mike's Nanking cherry trees flowered today, and I have some budding tulips. There is at least some sign of life, if not 6 inches of growth, on most perennials and shrubs.




I’ve also been reading up on ornamental trees, trying to make some decisions on how to landscape the front of the house. It really is amazing what you can learn on the internet, where you can network and discuss with other gardeners and access plant encyclopedias all at the same time. 

Mike has been hard at work in his garden. Here he is preparing potatoes for planting. He made some comment about obtaining too many seed potatoes and having hundreds of lbs of potatoes or something like that. Hopefully he does get a great yield!

 

 

Every day he is out preparing beds and planting, moving his seedlings around, and various other gardening chores.  Here's a little photographic garden/farm update:


seedlings, most of which are waiting for the last frost to be planted

Mike's garden plan. He often references this while out working.

new aluminum labels for some of his many fruit trees

mushrooms

grafted apple trees and pears, waiting for their places in the yard

potato trenches

Mike dug this boulder out of his garden this week! Our little girl helped by chanting "I think I can" while he worked.
 
bumble bee found the Nanking cherry

a man admiring his cherry tree

We are overjoyed by the forecast and the ability to bring to life our plans, many dreamed up over the winter. I hope you are enjoying whatever makes Springtime special for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a flower enthusiast married to a man with organic farming dreams. We're enjoying developing our own outdoor paradise in our first home, with 3 little gardening girls by our side. When not spending my free time gardening, I'm recording our memories in my pocket page scrapbooks.