Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hunting for Morels


Last Tuesday, April 12th, I had an early out day from work. The sun was shining and it was just after 5pm, and since we didn't find a single morel last year, I convinced Mike to kick off the morel hunting season early to improve our chances of success.

Seems it was probably still a little too early, at least in this patch of woods, but the wildflowers were fantastic. It's always fun to go out in the woods in the Spring with Mike because he knows the names of all the flowers, and the ground was just covered with them last week.


anemones

bloodroot

red colored fern


dutchman's breeches

covered with dutchman's breeches

ferns

me searching

It was still a little early for trout lilies and Spring beauties. Last year we found an orchid-like flower, which is a strange sighting in Iowa, so I'm hoping to find one again to get a good picture so we can identify it!

We're anticipating this week will be much better for morels. Hope you can find time for a little Easter egg hunt in the woods this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a flower enthusiast married to a man with organic farming dreams. We're enjoying developing our own outdoor paradise in our first home, with 3 little gardening girls by our side. When not spending my free time gardening, I'm recording our memories in my pocket page scrapbooks.