Friday, March 4, 2011

Sap Tutorial

For those who have questions about where the sap comes from, here's a tiny tutorial on xylem and phloem. Can't say that I understand it well yet, but I think it really is kind of like the liver. Wherever it comes from, I'm keeping the total sap collected recorded over there on the right side of the screen, you know, because I have nothing better to do!

Check out the latest maple sugar season photos:

maple syrup

cooking the syrup to exactly the right temperature

Note that the correct temperature is 7.1 degrees F above the boiling point. That's today's specific boiling point, based on your current barometric pressure and your elevation. Um, yeah, I may have a B.S. Chemistry, but I don't think that prepared me well for this complicated process. I mean, seriously, this is syrup!

Here's another example of my industrious husband at work, demonstrating what you can do with leftover sweet potatoes.

sweet potato ravioli!

Aah, just call us the Ingalls family. I'm going to go make some butter and mend some clothes. Considering getting some pansies started under the grow light. Hoping for some early Spring weather this weekend! We're going to be working the ground before we know it!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I seriously want that recipe, it looks yummy. Chemistry vs real life application....kinda one in the same isn't it? Cooking is a science after all :) Love this update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I want some sweet potato ravioli! This stuff is cool! I totally am with you with all the science of it all.... but, that's something Mike is great at...knowing all angles of what he doing!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a flower enthusiast married to a man with organic farming dreams. We're enjoying developing our own outdoor paradise in our first home, with 3 little gardening girls by our side. When not spending my free time gardening, I'm recording our memories in my pocket page scrapbooks.