Thursday, March 24, 2011

Yay!


Happy Spring, everyone! It's finally official. Check out what's growing outside now:


tulips


tiny irises


crocuses

And also check out what's going on under the grow light...

lettuce


radishes, I think

beets


micro-tom tomato, already has buds!

The rest of the tomatoes and peppers have been planted and are currently under an incandescent lamp 24/7 to keep them warm. Many of them have now germinated. The peas are in the ground outside and are just starting to come up, and I'm going to start some flower seeds inside today. If you're thinking about starting some things inside, now would probably be a good time!

garlic (planted late last Fall)

I watched a robin hunting for worms in the garden this morning. It's refreshing to see nature come alive again, and my faith that summer exists is being restored.

The sap seems to have stopped flowing now, but check out the yield we had in the maple sap tally on the right! Mike doesn't really like the syrup, but I think it's good except for maybe a bit of an aftertaste. I actually just had some on my waffles this morning! I can't really remember what real maple syrup is supposed to taste like, so I'll have to get some to compare. All in all, I'd say it was a very successful maple syrup year!

I hope you can enjoy the warm days that are scattered among the colder ones. And don't get too discouraged by the cold, wet weather we have-- after all, March showers bring April flowers!!

2 comments:

  1. That's funny, I always heard April showers brings May flowers.

    It IS exciting to see all the new growth. Spring is such a great time of re-birth, no wonder my faith is renewed every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true that's the traditional statement, but my statement is also true, and better because it means flowers earlier! And April is when I expect my first big bloom!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a flower enthusiast married to a man with organic farming dreams. We're enjoying developing our own outdoor paradise in our first home, with 3 little gardening girls by our side. When not spending my free time gardening, I'm recording our memories in my pocket page scrapbooks.