Tuesday, March 1, 2011

It won't be long now...



Happy March everyone! Spring is most definitely on the horizon, and I for one was happy to see March come in like a lamb! The snow is almost melted, and, you won't believe this, but the bulbs are starting to show their anxious green tips!


There's also a few green friends who seem to have stayed fresh underneath the snow all winter long. Here are some strawberries:



I'm also keeping cheery with a few indoor blooming plants right now; a "Christmas" cactus that I think is slowly working its way toward becoming an Easter cactus, and a big beautiful amaryllis.



Behind the amaryllis you can see our new bedroom paint color that we're working on... it's called spring garden. No really, it is. And I swear I picked it only because it was just the right color-- it had nothing to do with my Spring fever!

And finally, here's a view of Mike's latest project, including a quick video showing the sap flowing! He's already made 1 batch of syrup and some maple candy, and currently getting about a gallon of sap per day. So cool!

tapping the maple


maple sap


It's uncanny how similar this is to doing a spinal tap on a human. Those of you who have participated in this procedure will appreciate the sense of satisfaction I feel from seeing this fluid flow so freely and easily. It's beautiful! The birds in the background just make it that much better!




Here's the youtube link in case the video doesn't work: tapping the maple

Hope your March is off to a great start!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I don't think I knew sap flowed so quickly! Your flowers are looking beautiful! And I don't think I knew strawberries could be green in such cold weather.
    My amaryllis hasn't blossomed yet...but it's close. I almost want it to wait, and slowly bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh, the color of your wall is a PERFECT match to the stem or your Amaryllis! I'm with Jenn, I had no idea that sap dripped that fast, that's pretty cool! I KNOW you're excited to finally see green outdoors. I bet you can hardly wait to taste those first strawberries!

    Love you both!
    Mom Howell

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a flower enthusiast married to a man with organic farming dreams. We're enjoying developing our own outdoor paradise in our first home, with 3 little gardening girls by our side. When not spending my free time gardening, I'm recording our memories in my pocket page scrapbooks.