Wednesday, March 30, 2011



I was so excited to be greeted by these blooming tulips, which opened for my day off yesterday. The day started off with a 7 am snow that made the world white again, but only for a very short time until the morning sun melted it away.


hyacinth?


irises

Mike loves these mini irises, and I love how early they bloom. Wouldn't they look magnificent in a big multi-purpled drift at the front of a bed?


ornamental perennial that looks like a beet

I was looking through the April issue of Southern Living last night and gleaning some gardening ideas. One of my favorites so far is using foliage to color the garden. I've tried using different kinds of foliage in the past, but I've been limited by my knowledge of the different plants' sizes, light preferences, etc. I'll be looking to learn more about these this year.


micro-Tom tomato
about to bloom!


lettuce


greenhouse
(aka, guest room)

This is where we're sleeping right now while we work on our bedroom, and it smells warm and soil-filled, just like any real greenhouse. Now let's just hope Mike gets that extra rental garden this summer, or else we're going to have a lot of little vegetables with nowhere to plant them!

4 comments:

  1. I think those are Hyacinth, are they fragrant? They're not as full or tall (up to 10") but that is what it looks like. Also, your little irises are Japanese irises. I LOVE them, so dainty! Love the pics!

    Mom Howell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how much is blooming already -- so beautiful!

    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Kelly & Mike. Can't wait for the flowers here to bloom. They have broke ground, so there is hope. Was a looooong winter here in Northeast Ohio. Are you done havesting sap?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. I just officially stopped collecting sap yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a flower enthusiast married to a man with organic farming dreams. We're enjoying developing our own outdoor paradise in our first home, with 3 little gardening girls by our side. When not spending my free time gardening, I'm recording our memories in my pocket page scrapbooks.